We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The Greenhouse Effect is Earth's way of keeping its temperature constant.
The atmosphere is highly transparent to sunlight, but about 35% of the radiation we receive will be reflected back into space, with the remaining 65% trapped on Earth.
This is mainly due to the effect on the infrared rays of gases such as carbon dioxide, methane, nitrogen oxides and ozone present in the atmosphere (totaling less than 1% of this), which will retain this radiation on earth, allowing us to watch their calorific effect.
In recent years, the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has increased by about 0.4% annually; This increase is due to the use of oil, gas and coal and the destruction of tropical forests. The concentration of other greenhouse gases, such as methane and chlorofluorocarbons, also increased rapidly. The combined effect of such substances may cause an estimated increase in global temperature (Global Warming) between 2 and 6 ºC in the next 100 years.
Warming of this magnitude will not only change global climates, but will also increase the average sea level by at least 30 cm, which could interfere with the lives of millions of people living in the lower coastal areas. . If the earth were not covered by a blanket of air, the atmosphere would be too cold for life.
Conditions would be hostile to life, which, so fragile as it is, would make a slight difference in the initial conditions of its formation so that we could not be here discussing it.
The Greenhouse Effect basically consists of the action of carbon dioxide and other gases on the infrared rays reflected from the earth's surface, sending them back to it, thus maintaining a stable temperature on the planet. When radiating the Earth, part of the sun's light rays are absorbed and transformed into heat, others are reflected to space, but only part of them leave the Earth, as a result of the reflective action that the so-called "Greenhouse Gases". (carbon dioxide, methane, chlorofluorocarbons- CFCs- and oxides of nitrogen) all have on such radiation by resending it to the earth's surface in the form of infrared rays.
Since prehistoric times, carbon dioxide has played a key role in regulating the global temperature of the planet. With the increased use of fossil fuels (Coal, Oil and Natural Gas) the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has doubled in the last hundred years.
At this rate and with the massive forest clearing that has been practiced (it is in plants that carbon dioxide, through photosynthesis, forms oxygen and carbon, which is used by the plant itself) carbon dioxide will begin to proliferate leading, most certainly. , a rise in global temperature, which, even if only a few degrees, would lead to the melting of the ice caps and major changes in the topographic and ecological level of the planet.